Thursday, 14 November 2013

Mmmmmm haggis!

Barry quickly realised that one of the (many!) joys of having a foreign girlfriend is that I introduce him to new foods. Although not French but Scottish, I do have Scottish ancestors (as well as French, English, Maltese, Italian, amongst others! or maybe that's it?)
 
If you have not heard of haggis before, it is described as:
 
"Scottish round sausage: a Scottish dish made from chopped lamb's heart, lungs, and liver mixed with suet, oats, onions, and seasonings, which is packed into a round sausage skin and usually boiled."
 
If that doesn't get your appetite going, I don't what will! ;) In all seriousness though, it is delicious and one of our winter favourites! Barry does not normally eat any organs/offal but really likes haggis, so definitely try it at least once before you turn it down! Siena loves it too but then she does eat pretty much everything so we're quite lucky :)
 
This is how I like to cook it:
 
You will need:
* one haggis,
* one big onion
* lovely thick gravy
* 3 big potatoes
 
(Serves about 4... or 2 if you are really hungry!)
 
1. Cook the haggis as per instructions. I think you can boil it but I always remove it from its packaging, place it in a casserole dish with a lid and in the oven it goes, as per the instructions on the packet. I believe it's about 1 hour 20 minutes.
 
 
2. Next, I chop the onion in nice thick slices, and slowly cook them in a little butter so they go lovely and soft, but I take them off the heat before they go too soft as I like a little crunch left in them.
 
 
3. Once the haggis is cooked, I fluff it up with a fork, top it with the onions, followed by lots of lovely thick gravy. Finally, cover it all with mashed potato, and grill it for a bit to get a little colour on the mash (as you can see from the photo below, I failed on this last point).
 






















Et voila! An amazing winter comfort! Despite taking a fairly long time to cook, it involves minimal preparation and is very, very tasty!
 
 
What is your favourite winter comfort food? Have you introduced your family/partners to some new food they had never before they met you? I would love to hear from you!
 photo signature_zpsc43fa538.png
*All images unless otherwise noted are my own, so please do not use them without my permission.*
Post a Comment
Pin It button on image hover